Some of the benefits of turmeric are:
1) Tumeric for the flu: Research shows that turmeric may help reduce the severity of bacterial and viral infections.
2) Tumeric contains Curcumin: Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. Chronic inflammation is known to be a contributor to many common Western diseases. Curcumin may inhibit many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation. Apparently curcumin is just as effective as some of the anti-inflammatory drugs with no side – effects!
I prefer to have a curcumin capsule with peppercorns and some yoghurt as this enhances the absorption of curcumin.
3) Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent. I remember my grandmother applying tumeric to any cuts or bruises when we were kids.
4) Many ayurvedic practitioners recommend a bit of tumeric with warm milk an hour before bed if you find it difficult to fall asleep. Milk contains serotonin and melatonin which in combination with the nutrients from turmeric relieves stress and induces sleep.
5) Tumeric is also one of the essential spices for a curry.