Some of the benefits of turmeric are:
1) Tumeric for the flu: Research shows that turmeric may help reduce the severity of bacterial and viral infections.
2) Tumeric contains Curcumin: Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. Chronic inflammation is known to be a contributor to many common Western diseases. Curcumin may inhibit many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation. Apparently curcumin is just as effective as some of the anti-inflammatory drugs with no side – effects!
I prefer to have a curcumin capsule with peppercorns and some yoghurt as this enhances the absorption of curcumin.
3) Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent. I remember my grandmother applying tumeric to any cuts or bruises when we were kids.
4) Many ayurvedic practitioners recommend a bit of tumeric with warm milk an hour before bed if you find it difficult to fall asleep. People are now calling this drink a golden drink. Milk contains serotonin and melatonin which in combination with the nutrients from turmeric relieves stress and induces sleep.
5) Tumeric is also one of the essential spices for a curry.